English version only.
Expressive One-Word Picture Vocabulary Test-4 (EOWPVT-4)
Author(s): Nancy A. Martin, PhD / Rick Brownell, MA
A classic assessment of expressive vocabulary is now normed to age 80+
The Expressive One-Word Picture Vocabulary Test, 4th Edition (EOWPVT-4) now features norms through geriatric ages (80+). The EOWPVT-4 is an individually administered, norm-referenced assessment of how well persons age 2 years 0 months to over 80 years can name (in English) the objects, actions, or concepts presented in full-color pictures. The EOWPVT-4 features additional items for younger children, as well as items applicable to older adults.
The test consists of 190 items presented in a developmental sequence (based on the 2010 normative sample) that reflects the concepts with which people currently have experience through home, school, or media. The expanded norms allow use of the test with adults in various diagnostic, rehabilitation, or therapeutic settings. The EOWPVT-4 has been co-normed with the ROWPVT-4 to provide a comprehensive assessment of expressive and receptive vocabulary.
Whats new in this edition?
- Expanded age norms; oldest norms group (80+) includes persons up to 103 years
- New images for youngest and oldest ages
- Updated word list
- Updated developmental sequence of images
- More words added for youngest ages
- Readjusted starting points
- Ability to use test with young adults, older adults
Whats still true about the test?
- Easy to use items are arranged in one continuous developmental sequence (no groupings to keep track of)
- Co-normed with ROWPVT-4 to give complete picture of naming vocabulary
- Continues to focus on confrontation naming using mainly nouns - keeps interpretation clear and direct
- Test format / administration retains the same efficient features as previous edition
- Is appropriate to use with all ethnicities (all were included in the norming sample)
- Comparisons made for special populations: AD/HD, Autistic, LD, Reading Disability
- Normative sample matches US Census demographics on region, metropolitan area, ethnicity, gender, education level
Use of the EOWPVT-4
Testing persons who have experienced:
- traumatic brain injury,
- neurodegenerative disease (Alzheimers, Parkinsons, etc.)
Administration and Scoring
Color pictures are presented singly to the examinee, who is asked to name what is shown. The EOWPVT-4 retains the use of prompts and cues (shown on the Record Form) to ensure that examinees will attend to the relevant aspects of each illustration. Age-related starting points and ceilings (reached when the examinee makes a set number of consecutive errors) ensure that only a subset of items (the critical range) is administered.
The EOWPVT-4 is untimed and can be administered in about 20 minutes. Scoring is easy and straightforward, generally taking less than 5 minutes. Raw scores are reported as standard scores, percentile ranks, and (if necessary) age equivalents.